Monday, January 2, 2012

Starting Over-- Hot, talented mare

Dazzler is an extravagantly beautiful Juventus mare with huge gaits and a history of suspensory injury. Last year she had a colt--her first, at the age of 13. I want to see if she can stay sound enough to ride, i.e., train dressage. I've been lunging her for two weeks, trying to impress on her that she can just relax and take things a little easy. She is an extreme over-achiever. But, we've been through thick and thin together with the colt. She knows I won't hurt her. Or won't mean to hurt her. The first time I put a saddle on her after lunging her for two weeks, it turned out it was too wide, and banged on her withers. Sorry, girl. Today we got a decent saddle fit and after some warm-up on the lunge line, I got on.

Dazzler was a regional champion at training level in her younger days. So, she knows some basics. But, she was known for her quickness and her explosive antics. I'm walking in the shadow of 60, so I don't count on being quick. Being thorough and kind are my tools of choice. So, the plan is to continue the lunging three to four times a week, than sit on her and walk for several minutes, building the strength in her stifles, which are extremely weak at present. Along the way, I'm hoping to convince her to take care of me and tolerate my mistakes the way I saw her take care of and tolerate her colt, Freester. I can see her struggling with her under-saddle identity. She was such a pistol in her youth. I'm trying to convince her us two old broads can have some good times just grooving. Because, believe me, if this mare gets a groove going, it will be an amazing thing to see--and ride.

For my part, I'm trying to stay calm, when really, riding this mare makes me think of my own younger days riding the bucks out of horses for a horse-trader as a way to learn to ride. I remember how much a study in balance this was for me, and also a meditation on making friends with the horse through a combination of softness and command. Isn't that just what you need to learn at ten in order to deal with the world? Still feel the thrill at 58. It's one second at a time, and some of the best ones I know.

So, the main concern is not to rush bringing her back into training. I feel the pressure to "just get on with it." But mentally and physically, this will have to be a project of patience. I have other horses that need my time, and time is so limited--still working full time. And my horses Bayo and Shifu have priority in the training days. Dazzler will be my extra special effort, the horse that inspires me to go one more at the end of a long day. I don't know if that's something I can really do at this point in my life, but I'm going to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment